As the new coronavirus that has killed more than 145 000 people worldwide continues to spread, Russia has stepped up its measures to slow the pandemic's spread within its borders.
There have been 32 008 cases of coronavirus infections reported in Russia so far and 273 deaths.
Russia confirmed 4 070 new coronavirus infections on Friday, bringing the country’s official number of cases to 32 008 and marking the latest one-day record in new cases.
- President Vladimir Putin postponed a landmark military parade to mark the 75th anniversary of Soviet victory in World War II as Russia struggles to contain the rapid spread of the coronavirus.
- Moscow, the epicenter of Russia’s coronavirus outbreak, will begin treating respiratory infections as Covid-19 as the disease shows no signs of slowing down, a senior city official said Thursday.
- The Russian government has authorized hospitals to treat coronavirus patients with the untested Chinese malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, which studies have linked to deadly side effects.
- Russian national carrier Aeroflot has closed ticket sales for all international flights until Aug. 1.
- About half of Russia's coronavirus cases are asymptomatic, the head of consumer protection watchdog Rospotrebnadzor said.
- St. Petersburg can expect to see anywhere from 40 000 to 120 000 coronavirus cases by June depending on how closely residents follow lockdown orders, Alexei Borovkov, a member of the city's coronavirus task force, has said. The city has 1 507 confirmed cases so far.
- Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry has advised against wearing face masks for regular trips outside, recommending their use only in crowded places, on public transport or when caring for a sick person.