In the past 24 hours, Russia has confirmed 20 564 cases of COVID-19 and 762 deaths due to a disease caused by the novel coronavirus. The total case count going up to 6 747 087 and 176 044 deaths, the anti-coronavirus crisis center informed.
- Russia will launch a nationwide lottery for citizens who are vaccinated, according to an order signed by Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin. One thousand winners will be randomly selected to receive cash prizes of 100 000 rubles ($1 360).
- Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has canceled rules requiring employers in the capital to ensure at least 30% of unvaccinated staff work remotely. Guidelines to employers to regularly test employees for coronavirus and take temperature checks have also been scrapped.
- Chinese aviation authorities have suspended Moscow-Shanghai flights operated by Russian flagship carrier Aeroflot for two weeks starting Monday, Aug. 16, after five Covid-19 cases were detected among passengers on the July 30 flight.
- Russia's Sputnik V vaccine is 83% effective against the Delta variant, Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said. Research published in The Lancet this winter showed Sputnik V to be 91.6% effective against the original coronavirus strain.
- Thailand will allow tourists vaccinated with Russia's Sputnik V to enter its Phuket Sandbox areas.
- The developers of Russia’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine have developed a modified version of the jab for the highly contagious Delta variant.