In the past 24 hours, Russia has confirmed 18 233 cases of COVID-19 and 811 deaths due to a disease caused by the novel coronavirus. The total case count going up to 10 537 966 and 310 518 deaths, the anti-coronavirus crisis center informed.
- Russia recorded more than 115 000 excess deaths during November 2021, according to official statistics published Thursday — a new record high since the start of the pandemic.
- Russia's Health Ministry on Thursday advised Russians against traveling abroad for the New Year holiday due to the spread of the Omicron variant.
- Over 100 cases of the Omicron variant have been detected in Russia, Rospotrebnadzor head Anna Popova said Thursday.
- Russia could send free shipments of its Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine to Africa in the future, the head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which finances and promotes the jab, has said.
- Russia claimed its Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine provides “robust” long-term protection against the Omicron variant, disputing the findings of an independent study which found the Russian jab produced no antibody response whatsoever to the new highly transmissible variant.